3.12.2009

Definitely another rant on same-sex marriage.

OK, another religious guy takes over the quad area and talks about Jesus. He's exercising his right to freedom of speech. That's great.

He notices my pin that says "'I do' support the freedom to marry". He looks puzzled and I tell him that it's for gay marriage.

He said, "I'm pretty liberal about same-sex marriage. I believe a straight man should marry a lesbian woman, so she can become straight."

It's some great philosophy, not. He then asks me if I am a lesbian. I said, "Does it matter?"

"Yeah, it does matter, but you're too pretty to be a lesbian," he said.

This man of God apparently didn't read the part in the Bible where it said that we should not judge others.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." -Mathew 7:1-2

Not only was he against same-sex marriage, but he was judging on appearance on how a lesbian woman would look like.

Sexual orientation shouldn't matter to anyone. I was not going to tell him I was straight or I was gay. If he truly believed in the word of God, then he would look past the differences we all have and see how good our hearts are.

My point is that it is a sad say when civil rights such as same-sex marriage is left to the majority who unfortunately think like this man. I'm sure if this man was asked if we are all equal in God's eyes, he would say "yes."

Remember the time when everything was separate, but equal in this country? This man is saying that the gay and lesbian community is equal in God's eyes, but they don't deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples to marry.

Chris Rock, the comedian, makes a light note that “gay people have as much of a right to be miserable as everybody else", so let gay people be as miserable in their marriages as straight couples are.

0 comments: